Sunday, December 6, 2009

Best Fast Food Burger

Every Sunday evening for dinner Moody students are forced to fend for themselves since the Student Dining Room, lovingly referred to as the SDR, doesn't serve a meal Sunday night.  Some people make ramen or frozen pizza, some eat out, and some just go hungry.  Tonight I chose to visit one of my favorite Chicago eateries: Portillo's.  Portillo's specializes in Chicago "street food."  Constantly they win prizes and awards for the best Chicago hot dog.  If you don't like red hots, there are classic Italian beefs or Polish sausage.  If you are having trouble deciding between the beef or the sausage, don't.  Just get the combo, which is a Polish, and Italian beef all on one hoagie.  I've tried all of these, but my favorite is a rather hidden gem at Portillo's.

The burgers here are delicious.  Fresh, flame-broiled beef burgers with lots of cheese.  As I was eating my double cheeseburger tonight I realized it is probably the best fast food burger I've had.  The national chain Hardee's has a great burger for a fast food joint, but they are a close second to Portillo's.  So, here's the question for you:  What is your favorite fast food burger?

4 comments:

  1. I'll agree that for a fast food burger, Hardee's is a winner. They vary their promotional burger from jalapeno cheese burgers, beef brisket on a burger, mushroom and swiss, etc. It's been a while since I've had What-a-burger and I remember them as being good but don't remember enough to rate them.

    Of course, I think that there are better burgers at sitdown restaurants like Fudrucker's or BWW's, but since we're just talking fast food and I've never experienced Portillo's, I'll agree to Hardees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, there are better burgers at sit-down restaurants. I've got my eye on a Big Jack Daddy next Saturday for UFC 107. I really liked the Patty Melt Thickburger that Hardee's had awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. White Castles - But it's the old 'I like them but they don't like me' scenario. But that doesn't stop me most of the time.

    And how can you talk about food and not mention Ted Drews? Are you trying to get written out of the will?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes. I'm sure that Ted Drewe's will appear in some baseball related post sometime next season. White castles do have a special place in the realm of fast food burgers. They win the award for best novelty burger.

    ReplyDelete