Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I only smoke the good stuff...

I just got home this past week for my Christmas vacation.  Upon my arrival, my family and I went out for dinner at a new barbecue place in Springfield called Whole Hog Cafe.  If first impressions are everything, this place was nothing.  Once we entered we were astonished to find that WHOLE HOG Cafe was out of pulled pork.  Try to get that one through your thinker.   So, in the absence of pork, my family ordered the beef brisket buddy pack, that serves four people.  We all got our fill, my dad and I probably could have eaten more though.  Big surprise...  As my family sat around talking, my mom mentioned that she was planning on making a brisket at home.  We've had a brisket sitting in the freezer for awhile now, and she was planning on cooking it the next week.  With thoughts of smoke filling my head, I proceeded to ask, maybe even beg, for her to let me smoke it.  She was pretty reluctant because she wanted to make it in the oven, roast style.  Somehow, she gave in, allowing me to smoke it.

That brings us to today.  Currently I am sitting on my back porch, two days into winter, in a hoodie and jeans, smelling the sweet smoke of hickory wood.  It seems a far cry from the studying for finals inside my dorm room because it's ten degrees outside I was experiencing last week in Chicago.  My weather channel Yahoo! widget tells me that it is currently 51 degrees.

This is my first endeavor into smoking.  It's also my first try at brisket.  If this goes well, my next large purchase will probably be a larger charcoal smoker.  The only charcoal grill I have right now is a small 14"x14" grill.  It has served me very well and has been the vehicle through which I have made plenty of chops, burgers, bbq chicken, brats, steaks, and dogs, but I think it's time for me to move up in the world of grilling.  This is the one I've got my eye on.

So tomorrow, hopefully I'll post again letting you know that the brisket was a success.

On another "B" note, I'm working on a mini sermon of sorts for Sparta Christian Church's Christmas Eve service.  Please keep me in prayer as I prepare for it. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Save some for me! (posting from work--I'm on break)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, there are at least two pounds left; enough for several regular sandwiches or one Perry Foster's sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A preChristmas post about a new toy! Did it work?

    ReplyDelete